A son asked his father, 'Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?'The father who, despite having a heart condition, says 'Yes'. They went on to complete the marathon together. Father and son went on to join other marathons, the father always saying 'Yes' to his son's request of going through the race together. One day, the son asked his father, 'Dad, let's join the Ironman together.' To which, his father said 'Yes' too. For those who don't know, Ironman is the toughest triathlon ever.The race encompasses three endurance events of a 2.4 mile (3.86kilometer) ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180.2 kilometer) bike ride, and ending with a 26.2 mile (42.195 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the Big Island . Father and son went on to complete the race together.
Someone emailed this to me today and I thought (as the tears streamed down my face) that 1. surely I can do better than I have been with my personal fitness goals and 2. What an awesome father. One thing that I have learned from nursing school is how much I love my child. I miss him when I am gone so much - my heart aches for him. This video touches me as a parent. If you read this other article, found at http://munfitnessblog.com/a-special-son-a-loving-father-a-touching-story-team-hoyt/ , it quotes Rick telling his father after the first race that he didn't feel handicapped when they were in the competition. Now tell me as a parent that you wouldn't want to run a marathon every day for your sweet child after hearing that!
4 years ago



4 comments:
i've heard this story before. so touching!
oh my goodness! What an amazing touching story. I have heard the story before, but watching the video, MAN! Way to get me bawling, Becca. Makes me want to go run a marathon with BEN!
Thank you for sharing! It is always great to see things like that, and it really makes you think about your life in a different perspective. How thankful we should be!
wow! i have heard of the father and son before, but i didn't know they did the ironman. truley amazing story, definantly made me cry.
Becca! Yay, you have a blog. Now you can add me to your list of friends.
Post a Comment